The Guild Leader Episode #1
The Guild Leader “The Foundation”
This is my new series that I’ll be updating at least once a week covering everything you wanted to know about being a better guild leader. You might ask yourself why should listen to me. Well that is a fair question.
I have lead guilds in just about every game that I have played and I can show you the best ways to handle just everything situation imaginable in the role of guild leader. The guild leader will perform many duties and wear man hats throughout your daily game playing. I will try to cover as many subjects as I can from scheduling raids, picking good guild officers, how to delegate responsibility, and above all how to solve a lot of your problems before they become problems so you can have fun.
Being a guild leader is a responsibility that can be a like having a second job if not run properly, but can also be a lot of fun too. This first episode we will cover some of the basics of starting up a successful guild.
It doesn’t matter what game you play. Having good leadership can help make the game and game play much more enjoyable. Starting a guild can be very satisfying especially when you surround yourself with people that work well together.
Just like a house a guild must have a good foundation. What is the foundation for a guild? That’s not easy to answer, but I’ll try to do my best to answer that question right now.
The Six Parts of a Guild Foundation
1. Guild Name: The guild name should be something that shows pride. Something that you will be proud to be a member of. Yeah I’m sure we have all seen bad guild names, hell I even created a few bad ones, but you’re better off creating a guild name that you will be proud off saying.
2. Active Guild Leader: One of the first and most important things is to have an active guild leader. A guild leader must be online everyday period! If you not active them your guild will be leaderless and that makes for the guild to break apart and soon you will not have a guild at all. As a guild leader you must have a thick skin (some people just won’t like you) and you also must be able to kick out any unruly member that doesn’t want to play by the rules. These players can be a cancer in your guild. Get rid of them fast before they cause havoc, by breaking up your team.
3. Website: Setting up a guild webpage where you can have the charter on display for all. This is the responsibility of the guild leader, but is often delegated to another guild member. Use the site to schedule time for fun guild events, display news, and list out the officers and what duties each has.
4. Charter or Guild Rules: Your the guild leader lay down the law! Come up with a charter or rules that need to be followed by all the members. You should also lay out what is expected of your member and what sort of application process will be in place for new member. These should be displayed on your guild website.
5. Officers: As the guild leader you need to delegate your officers to take control when you aren’t around. These officer should have the same expectations as the guild. They should all be on the same page at all time. Get them involved in the guild, by having them lead events. You don’t need to do it all.
6. Be open for business: You need to make the guild inviting to new players as the guild leader you need to convey this message to your members. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be selective about who you let join. You need to sell your guild to others what is the benefits to joining. We used to put together “newbie starter kits” so that new people would everything they need to level up faster. Tell them about the events you put on.
Well that’s a lot of information for our first episode. Being a guild leader can be one of the most rewarding things that you can do in a game. Remember to have fun with it but also to lead smartly. As this series grows will be adding more and more advice and step by step guides to make you life as the guild leader much easier.
“The Guild Leader” is a weekly series by Beer and Joysticks .com and written by Chris Gillis covering all aspects of being a better guild leader. If you have any questions or comments we welcome them below this article.